Thursday, April 26, 2012

Off the Needles: Felted Mittens


Too late to wear these this time of year, but they are finished. I wanted something warmer than the acrylic yarn mittens that I've had for years so I knitted these out of heavy wool. I can't recall the yarn I used...might be Cascade 220 wool.

I'd completed all but the felting while it was still cool enough to wear them, but then realized that one was a bit longer than the other, always a possibility when making 2 items separately. (That's why I always knit both sleeves at the same time when making a sweater.) I couldn't decide which one to fix: shorten the longer one or add a couple of rows to the shorter one. So I set the mittens aside. Later it occurred to me that perhaps the felting process could be the solution. I felted the longer one a bit more than its mate. Since I made them to wear when walking in the woods in winter, I decided that this time practicality would win out over perfectionism.

No comments: