Sunday, October 6, 2013

Off the Needles: 2 Cowls, One Pattern

I love this pattern...it's so enjoyable and fast to knit and the result is a little different than the usual cowl patterns. It has an origami-like folding that keeps it from stretching out. The pattern is Miura Cowl by Olga Buraya-Kefelian. The yarn is some Brown Sheep wool that I had left over from another project. I gave the cowl to a co-worker who is always cold. I think she'll get a lot of use out of it this winter.


The pattern is knit in the round so there are no seams to deal with.  However, with the second cowl I decided to knit it as a flat piece and then use buttons to fasten it. After knitting, I added a couple of rows of single crochet and chains to make button loops. The yarn is Lion Brand's "Vanna's Glamour" in colorway Copper. The buttons are from my stash. They look like butterscotch Bakelite, but I think they're just plastic that resembles Bakelite.


I also made a third cowl out of some dark brown Berger du Nord "Tonic" a 60% acrylic/40% wool blend that I had in my stash. The instructions call for 8 repeats of the pattern, but I only had enough yarn for 7. Another nice thing about this pattern is that it looks great even with fewer repeats, so running short of yarn isn't a disaster.

No comments: