Monday, June 16, 2014

Off the Shuttle: Tatted Pillowcase Edging

Here's another project that was almost finished but put aside for a couple of years. One pillowcase had been finished and completing the second only involved a few inches of tatting and sewing the edging on. I'm baffled as to why I get so close to completing a piece and then just put it aside. I guess I got bored with the project and just moved on to something new (which I hope I did finish).


I bought this pair of pillowcases at a vintage store in Apex, NC, a few years ago for about $8. They had an embroidery pattern printed on them and someone had actually completed all the embroidery on them. Since the pattern's ink is still visible, it's obvious that they were never washed or used. I imagine that they were part of someone's linen collection that heirs got rid of...so common for many textiles that were painstakingly made and later discarded by unappreciative recipients.

The wavy edges of the cases called for an edging that could adjust to them. I chose Mary Konior's "Skipping Ropes," a pattern that is made up entirely of chains. The pattern is on page 25 of Tatting with Visual Patterns. There was a peach shade in some of the embroidered flowers that closely matched thread in my stash. I used DMC Cebelia size 20 in color #754.

2 comments:

Julie Romero said...

That is really lovely on those pillow cases! A very nice match on the colors :-)

Madtatter80 said...

Very nice love to get those items done that have been put off, and so close to the end too :)