Thursday, May 5, 2016

Lemonade from Lemons: Chair Repair with Mod Podge


My late cat Anya loved to scratch vigorously on the seats of two porch chairs, leaving unsightly and scratchy patches that I had been covering with towels.  I considered getting rid of the chairs, but other than the damaged places, they were in fine shape. Recently it occurred to me that the damaged areas might be repaired if I could find some way to permanently cover over the bad spots.

I realized that I already had the two materials I needed to cover the torn up spots: Outdoor Mod Podge and a piece of handmade decorative paper (a leftover from a purchase from A C Moore for another project). After several applications of the Mod Podge on the top and bottom of the chair fabric and the paper that I cut in irregular shapes, the chairs now look much better and are more comfortable to sit on. According to instructions on the Mod Podge bottle, I  may have to reapply additional coats in the future, but, since the chairs are on a screened porch, that will probably be a long time from now.



3 comments:

occhitat said...

They look classy!

Sewicked said...

Any before pictures?

Madtatter80 said...

Sensational idea for the chairs I want to do this to an old suitcase more like a breifcase and really need to get around to it.