Friday, October 7, 2016

2016 NC State Fair Project: Baby Christening Gown




This year I put an entry in the Crocheted Christening Gown category at the North Carolina State Fair. The pattern is "Offset Shell," one of two patterns in the Leisure Arts brochure Christening Sets to Crochet by Kay Meadors (2007, p. 7-9). 


I used Lily 18th Century white cotton thread, a thread that has been discontinued. (I seem to have a lot of discontinued threads and yarns in my stash.) This thread crocheted up very nicely using a size 6 steel crochet hook.


The final gown is about 18" long. I kept thinking I should go longer even though the pattern specified only 15" for the longer version. But with the fair entering deadline looming, and, frankly, me wanting to move on to other projects, I added the bottom edging last night and called it finished. 

The pattern calls for three buttons and I found an old card of three white glass heart-shaped buttons in my button stash that were perfect. The pattern photograph showed using a white ribbon trim, but I ended with a peach ribbon simply because that was what I had in the length I needed -- and I wanted to avoid a last minute trip to Jo-Ann's for white ribbon. So everything I used (thread, ribbon, buttons) came from my stash. Sometimes I have to agree with my daughter that I do, indeed, have a craft shop in my house.

1 comment:

Madtatter80 said...

This is lovely, and sorry for my slow blogging just not really caught up yet