Friday, October 7, 2016

2016 NC State Fair Projects: Knitted Edging on Tea Towel



This is my second year of entering a piece in the knitted trim on household item category in the North Carolina State Fair. Last year I was truly surprised to get a blue ribbon for my entry. I wonder if it was just that perhaps more people do thread crochet rather than thread knitting and so there are fewer entries and less competition. 

I'm a volunteer at the Ten Thousand Villages store in Cary, NC, where I bought this tea towel last year. As soon as I saw it, I knew I would use it for a fair entry. The color and statement called for something "Christmasy" so I looked for a pattern that might evoke Christmas trees.


The pattern I chose sort of looks like upside-down trees with red beads at their peaks. The pattern is "Cinquefoil" from 150 Knitted Trims by Lesley Stanfield (St. Martin's Griffin, 2007; p. 86). I used green size 10 crochet cotton from my stash with a size 0 needle. I strung the red glass beads on the thread before knitting the trim. I think this little edging does add to the message "Make Merry."

2 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

Oh I love this and always wondered how you bead with knitting :)

Jane McLellan said...

Very Christmassy! Good luck for the competition, I hope you win another ribbon.