Thursday, April 6, 2017

More Shuttle "Blinging" Lessons

The tatters who signed up for my "Bling Your Shuttle" class this month were not the only ones who learned new things. I have been working on embellishing plastic shuttles with thicker plastic stickers but finding it tricky to get them to stay on. One of the scrapbookers in the class suggested I first apply a paper layer to the shuttle and then put the stickers onto the paper for firmer adhesion. I'm happy to say that her suggestion does work better when using these stickers. The pink shuttle is my first attemp at applying the stickers directly onto the shuttle, while I first applied purple origami paper to the shuttle on the left before putting on stickers.

For both shuttles I put many, many coats of Martha Stewart Crafts High Gloss Finish to get a nice finish. I'd like to experiment with other glossy finishes so I've been looking for other products in craft stores. It turns out that Mod Podge does make a finish that it says will give a glass-like finish to pieces. However, according to the directions on the bottle the drying/curing time is FOUR WEEKS! I think I'll stick with the Martha Stewart product for now.



Another suggestion I got from the class is to use washi tape instead of sheets of origami paper. Most of the washi tape I found in craft stores is too narrow to cover my shuttles, but I did find this decorative tape that is wide enough. Like the plastic stickers it has a tendency to peel off too easily, but coats of the MS gloss, especially around the edges, seemed to fix the problem. The proof, of course, will come after I use this shuttle for tatting projects.



No comments: